Thursday, May 21, 2009

Houston, we have a uniform

After slaving away at the shop since the beginning of May in one of Carolyn's work shirts (No, I'm not Carolyn, No I can't fix your car...) I finally have my own shirt with my own name! woo hoo.

Oh and  shoutout to John whose birthday is tomorrow! he will enjoy the groceries. code word. 

Today was a marvelous day. 
I love the Caltrain, it officially became my favorite mode of public transportation. its like a double decker train that feels like an airplane (the seats), and unlike the BART, you never have to stand, there should always be enough room for you to sit. What's amazing about it is that I can get from San Francisco to Palo Alto in about an hour. No driving or anything. AWESOME

Speaking of Palo Alto, today I visited IDEO and I had a personal little tour by a recruiting person from the company. The facilities are so cool. They have a friggen yurt with a draw-on table (the paper is donut shaped... you kind of have to see it, but believe me its cool even though I can't explain it). 

The coolest thing at IDEO was that I got to see THE shopping cart. the shopping cart that started it all.  (check out the deep dive video from Nightline ABC from about '98 or '99, it was this video that sparked my interest in design and product design). 

I got to see the outside of the toy lab and I got to see some of their process. 
Prototype, prototype, prototype (that's kind of hard to type three times fast)
improve
validate
 (or something along those lines). 

I also got to see David Kelley the CEO.  I didn't get to talk with him, but I was super excited because I had sent him a sad "I was rejected from Stanford, so what should I do to be prepared for a career in product design..."
and he responded. How cool is that. 

I unfortunately wasn't able to meet up with my friend at Stanford, psh, you don't need to go to class! What do you think you are Harvard? haha jk. Maybe we'll meet up this weekend?

Today I also saw my once related, though now relative of close friends up in Belmont. (yay caltrain)

We then went to celebrate John's birthday a day early by enjoying a late lunch amidst children crying and trying to figure out why certain things are the way that they are. Like why men's shirts have buttons on the right side and women's are the other way, and stuff like that. 

Then a trip to the uniform shop and the hardware store, and that brings us to now (4:40pm ish PST)

can't wait for those 'groceries'

No comments:

Post a Comment