Friday, May 15, 2009

may 13th

(written on notepad on May 13th. I forgot to load Microsoft Word, and I can't get my computer to connect to the internet). 

Who knows what day of LG it was today. I just got back after my long weekend of walking to Berkley (maybe around 4 miles),
 to Haight (maybe 2ish?), and from Pacific Heights to SOMA. I've been walking a lot. 
I like to think that I'm walking because I'm "Too lazy to wait for the bus." It sounds kind of counter-intuitive or 
oxymoronic, but its so true. With buses you have to learn which line to take and what street you have to get off at
(as in paying attention). Rather than taking the bus, I just walk in the general direction of where I need to go, and 
boom! I'm there! I did have to take a taxi though. I knew that if I were to take the MUNI(bus) at 7:20am, I would have been 
late for my 8:00 AP tests. Those didn't go too well by the way... eh. Cross your fingers for me. I need at least a 4 on the chem test
 (then I will have completed all of my chem requirements, YAY OSU!) All of that walking made me hungry! So far the most exciting 
SF cuisine that I've bought so far: Bubble tea (they just call it tapioca here) in avacado (So GOOD!) and Thai Tea (a little dissappointing), 
Thai lemongrass soup (always good), crepes, and a Carolyn Approved hamburger--It was pretty damn good. Everything adds up here. 
public transportation, food, everything. No wonder there are so many homeless and begging people. The most interesting one came up to me Friday. I was cleaning out 
a messy Gen 1 Prius owned by the shop, he must have thought it was mine, even though I was clearly wearing a work shirt. In a thick spanish/mexican accent he asked me 
for change for the bus. In actuality I had just found 8 cents in the center console that no one knew was there, but I told him "sorry I don't have any change"
What came next was a bit surprising though. Despite his thick accent, I could understand what he said next very clearly, "F*** you, you rich F***."

Well sir you're not going to get any help with that. geez.

This reminds me of the video that now Hawken alum Nicole Pursell put together as an ad for coffee house. The best part was 
a close up shot of her standing on a street with her hands pulled to her face in shock "HOMELESS PEOPLE!" she yelled, making fun of 
the average sheltered Hawken student that has never been exposed to, well, anything. I really want to find this video, it was hilarious, 
(hilarious enough to get her into trouble, but great art comes at a price). 

In my personal opinion, senior projects are supposed to be the Hawken's student's gentle awaknening to reality rather than the rude one that is about to come. 
I'm living in a new city. There are homeless people. Public transportation. Responsibility. excitement. crime. REALITY. 


It's also about exploring. I don't plan on being a car mechanic, but I believe that exploring a different, but still similar field
is valuable. Plus entrepreneurship and eco-friendliness are always important things to learn about. 

eh. I have to write my mid-term report one of these days. 


FUN THINGS I'VE DONE:
I went thrifting/vintage shopping, so far the best place (selection and price), is 'Out of the Closet' a thrift store where 95 cents of each dollar goes to 
supporting AIDS programs. 

The best music store (i've only been in a handful) that I've been to has been Amoeba Music. It's pretty awesome. There's one in Berkeley and one on Haight. 
It is friggen huge. 

I plan to rent a bike and bike to the golden gate bridge one of these days. 

a little update on my Casual Commuting:
I've done it several times now, I've been with 2 male drivers and 2 female drivers. It can be a bit awkward
when the driver doesn't initiate a conversation. I was in someone's front seat during a huge traffic jam 
(it only ended up taking about 45ish minutes because we were in the HOV lanes), but it was just a bit strange sitting next to someone for so long, 
and not having a conversation. 

Despite the awkwardness, I'll continue to take the Casual carpool because its a much closer walk than the BART, and I don't have to pay/wait for the bus to take me to BART (again with the laziness).

Until next time, 
J

No comments:

Post a Comment